Fugiat dapibus, tellus ac cursus commodo, mauris sit condim eser ntumsi nibh, uum a justo vitaes amet risus amets un. Posi sectetut amet fermntum orem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia nons.
Fugiat dapibus, tellus ac cursus commodo, mauris sit condim eser ntumsi nibh, uum a justo vitaes amet risus amets un. Posi sectetut amet fermntum orem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia nons.

John Volken Academy Blog

/Blog/
­

The John Volken Academy, Gets a spot on Global News!

By |November 28th, 2014|

The John Volken Academy was fortunate enough to land a spot on Global News. This was exceptionally monumental for the program, the students and the staff were very grateful that this occurred. This helped raise awareness about the John Volken Academy, and hopefully entice more people in search of a new life to enroll in […]

“Sunday Funday” At the Vancouver Zoo

By |November 13th, 2014|

Sunday we had the privilege to do some service work at the Vancouver Zoo. We all got together as a community to clean and organize the cheetah cage. Giving back to the community was an exceptionally rewarding experience for me. In my past all I did was take from my family, friends, and loved ones. […]

Conquering over addiction at the John Volken Academy

By |November 7th, 2014|

I graduated from the John Volken Academy last December. I got the pleasure of taking part in the Rock n’ Roll Half Marathon last weekend with Team Recovery. The run was an incredible experience for me.
Coming in to the John Volken Academy, I was 60 lbs heavier than I am now, so never in a […]

No Fixed Address: Addiction Isn’t a Downtown Problem

By |May 5th, 2014|

It’s no surprise that recovery and addiction come with social stigmas attached.

It’s easy to watch news stories about the Downtown Eastside and think those in addiction are a breed apart from the rest of us, but the reality is, addiction and recovery are all around us.

Addiction isn’t just on the peripheries of our society. It’s […]

Vancouver Sun reports on Surrey’s unregulated recovery homes

By |January 10th, 2014|

We’re proud of the mention we received in this Vancouver Sun story on addiction recover homes in Surrey. Clearly some form of regulation has been needed for quite some time. Click here for full article

What is “Total Fitness”? A Trainer’s Thoughts

By |October 2nd, 2013|

We’d like to thank personal trainer Cari Plotnikoff for her guest post, which follows.

Cari writes…
My connection to Welcome Home is simple: I believe in making a difference and helping others. I believe in taking care of yourself and being healthy and strong as possible to endure life’s adventures. I have a passion for fitness and […]

Third Run for Recovery a Smashing Success!

By |September 10th, 2013|

IMG_1469Written by B., one of our Welcome Home student reporters.

Our 3rd Annual “Run for Recovery” had an amazing turnout with support from friends, family, and PricePro customers.

With approximately 150 runners, this was our biggest run yet! It was amazing to see all the WelcomeHome student families come out […]

John Volken Academy Booth at Newton Days

By |July 5th, 2013|

One of our students wanted to tell you how she enjoyed being the face of John Volken Academy at Newton Days. It’s how she talks about confident, getting involved, and having fun that makes us so proud of her.

On Saturday, June 22nd, 2013, Gabrielle and I went to the Newton […]

Volken Academy Pitches Camp at Potlatch

By |June 8th, 2013|

Recovery shouldn’t be about denying yourself experiences — it should be about experiencing everything fresh, new, and differently. That’s why we love this story from one of our student reporters at WelcomeHome, M.

Going to Potlatch is a magical time for the students of WelcomeHome. The week prior, leadership plans every detail from a skeleton crew […]

Two Sides of Graduation: Stories from an upcoming student & Kent’s CEO

By |May 8th, 2013|

On April 21st, 2013, we saw the graduation of three of our students down in Kent, Washington. We were blessed to have both Kent’s John Volken Academy CEO and a student weigh in on the emotional evening. Here are their stories:

Kent John Volken Academy’s CEO Steve Dalton writes…

To say that the evening of Sunday, April […]